Saturday, May 27, 2006

The good, the bad, and the terribly exciting

Haven't felt the urge to update lately but it's not to say life is in the least bit boring.

Work continues smoothly. I adore the team that i work with and of course, am in love with the kids. My boss, John, is another fellow Canadian (former international gymnast!) and just a really patient and wonderful teacher. He's especially great for the young ones who often lack a positive male role model at school. I enjoy the small group work that I do, the one on one lessons and the getting-to-know the other staff members bit. I am learning a lot, by observing and doing, but this past week was especially hard, emotionally that is. Having had no training in working with autistic, ADHD, dyslexic kids, I am left with a lot of open ended questions as to how to approach a certain child in order to ensure maximum learning opportunities.

We live in such a literate society that it is really a handicap if you are unable to read and write. But most of us take it for granted that it's just a natural ability, whereas there are many people who struggle with it continuously at no fault of their own. I readily admit how soft-hearted I am, but being in such close contact with children who can truly fill your heart with such joy and desperation at the same time is just undescribable. And so, I must really acknowledge my team here by saying they have really helped me on this steep growth curve.

* I will be attending the International Conference on Special Education next weekend at HK University which I hope will shed some light on the certain conditions that i must deal with at work, and also gain some tips as to how I should approach these children to ensure effective learning.

Good News: After too much humming and hawing (sp?) about applying for school in September, I finally got my act together and sent in the required forms for the PGDE (Post Graduate Diploma in Education) at HK University, went for a group interview to be accepted into one of their slots - and got in! 8 months of full time study, based mainly on small group learning and in-class teaching, my focus will be on Secondary school, Liberal Studies. Extremely excited about going back to academia learning, and the prospect of many more doors opening for me afterwards.

Bad News: We attended a free Drum Jam at the HK alternative theatre called the Fringe Club, and while i did think of taking off my engagement ring before drumming, I didn't and later on that night around 1am I realized that the ring had been completely squashed down and was blocking circulation. I tried to rub every type of cream on my finger: soap, vaseline, windex, dish detergent, even hemmoroids cream! I then tried dunking my finger in ice cold water for ten minutes to reduce the swelling but the only result was acute pain followed by a dull numbing throb.

The next morning I went to the Emergency ward at the Princess Margaret Hospital where a guy with a teeny tiny saw made for stupid people like me sawed the ring off, releasing me from a night's worth of built-up agony. The worst part of it is that the ring is now ruined. I plan to have the shell reset but still, it won't be anything like the original that was so carefully crafted by a Uygher jeweller in a small shop in er dao qiao in Urumqi. Lesson learned. At least the drum jam was really fun, so much so that Matt and I have signed up for a beginner's course starting in a couple of weeks! No rings allowed!

Exciting News 1: I've gone to apply for a HK driving license (easy transfer if you already have a valid one in your own country) and after picking it up on Monday, I'm going to sign up for a motorbike course. Yeah! I think it will provide a different form of transportation that I've never really considered but think it'll be much more exhilerating, being able to feel the wind in my hair, sun on my face, mozzies in my mouth...

Exciting News 2: Ben Harper -Tokyo - June 10th - yessss! Yup, the second i heard he was performing that weekend, i wanted to go. I've been listening to Ben Harper on repeat these past few days, gearing up to what I envision to be an out-of-this-world concert. I've seen him live at Bluesfest a few years back and was completely taken aback at his huge stage presence. Oooh, i cannot wait! It'll be my first time in Japan (if you don't count the airport) and of course, most importantly, it'll be really great to see the lil' sista again and have her show me around for once!

No comments: