Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Me, a Biker Girl? Yessirrr!

We bought a 'little' 125 cc motorbike for me to learn on two days ago. We picked it up yesterday. It's nice to ride on a bike and see the scenery go by, faster than walking or cycling. Good or bad, you also get more acute wafts of the different smells, more so than in a car, like mutton roasting and garbage rotting. All we need to do now is get the formalities done (ie. license plate and license, both of which are easily purchased. Some things are a helluva lot easier to do in China!!) and then i need to learn and practice and then it's off off off we go!! Matt will buy his own 'big boy' off-road bike once i am comfortable on my 'little girl' bike. (*side note: i actually don't see my bike as 'little' or 'girly' whatsoever, in fact i think it's just right for my height and short legs, it's some of the guys we've met from the Desert Rally who called it that, but compared to their monster off-road bikes, i can sort of see their reasoning. Still...)

Our plan is to go riding out of the city (see pic of view from our 26th floor in Hao Tai), explore the mountains, and be free from the shackles of the city. Yay for summertime!

** For those of you who are a tad worried for me, i'll be extra safe. Helmet, and lots of protective armour will be worn. I definitely don't want a repeat of what happened in Thailand :)
Took my first tennis lesson yesterday, an intense workout. It's great to be outdoors and active. Will try to do it a few times a week.

I'm trying to find my own groove here, a set routine that i can have so that my week is relatively structured. It's easy to fill my time with lessons and food/coffee-dates with friends around town, but i feel that i can't just live like that from day to day. There are certain days where work on the Project has to be done and setting it up in my week so that time allows for it is crucial or else my procrastinating side will get the better of me.

Have been thinking and researching a lot about options for post-China. Gets the mind going and the reality of it is not too far off from the imagination. The beautiful thought of not knowing where we'll be in a year is freakin exciting. Dog-sledding in Nunavut? Internship in Bolivia? Snowboarding in Chile in the morning and then waterskiing in the afternoon? Crossing the 'Stan' coutnries in our trusty Jeep? Smoking a big fat cigar in Cuba? Motorbike adventure across Canada? They all sound plausible. Hell, so does learning the accordian and knitting sweaters in Pakistan for orphaned goats ... what i mean is that anything and everything just seems possible ... Oh btw, i was introduced to the most amazing restaurant in town last week. Pakistani food, with dahl, soft warm chipatis, lamb curry, creamy smooth yogurt and divine chai. I think the fact that it is not Chinese, Uyghur or Kazakh food, is a good enough reason to rant and rave about it.

That, and it's just yummy.

No comments: