Friday, May 13, 2005

on a friday, rainy afternoon

My heart broke yesterday when i found out there is this HUGE crack in my violin from the base up that extends past the bridge, about 5 inches long along the vein of the wood. I was just putting on my newly-bought chin rest when i noticed it. I can't figure out why or how; the violin is always in its case, tucked away beside the piano where nobody walks by. It might be the weather, the way it's suddenly become very hot from very cold, I dunno.

However, on a good note, i had THE MOST motivating erhu lesson yesterday with Zhang laoshi (teacher). He is just intensely passionate about the instrument, so sincere. He challenges me, pushes me but knows i have limits too. I tend to want to hold the bow like a violin, a habit i must overcome quickly. I want to get good at the erhu; my fingers hurt hurt hurt already, good sign.

Have been working more on the 'House of Hope' project with Cath (based in Yili) and Merhaba (based in Switzerland). I'm the Urumqi-arm of the project and so far we've been going through the drafts of contracts, job descriptions, etc. It's very exciting to be a part of something that is yours to shape and mould, an endeavor which will hopefully have lasting impact on the lives of the women in Yili, etc. Having zero experience in starting up a project like this one from scratch, i'm learning a lot. It brings me back to the good ol' uni days where essays and reports were written in the wee hours of the morning, typing up fancy schmancy paragraphs and using as many impressive words as possible to make it sound credible and professional. Writing contracts is something of a similar deal, although precise wording is now to be taken a lot more seriously due to the possible serious consequences that could arise should we have to fall back on our written words. Cath and i know that first-hand, both of us having resigned from EF and breaking our contract early.

It's raining outside right now!!!! A real rare occurrence in Urumqi. I walked home just now from the restaurant where i lunched (about 45 minutes on foot), got soaked to the skin but feel completely rejuvenated and alive! My 12 year old student, Jollery, is sick and in the hospital today so we don't have a lesson. That's ok, what i'll do is just curl up on our Uyghur cushions and mats downstairs and read.

No comments: