Sunday, January 21, 2007

"you should be scared"

It's back to school, and i've got mixed feelings about my classes, tutors, assignments and just the teaching profession itself. It's been so necessary to hash it out with my fellow classmates, and this weekend provided the opportunity for us to get out and socialize outside of class, over drinks, amongst the madness of HK nightlife. And as it happens (unfortunately), i feel i can only truly be understood by other 'foreigners'.

I never realized nor expected the cultural divide to be so great, but it's there and well, it's there. It's somewhat of a relief to know you are not alone but it makes it that much more difficult to bridge the gap as our Chinese tutors, who of course only have the best of intentions, are treating "us foreigners" as the difficult ones with perhaps too many opinions about everything. But i ask, aren't we supposed to question and inquire and 'deep-learn'? As a classmate of mine (who's been having a lot more confrontation and conflict than i have) said to me the other day and to which i agree, I see clearly how i was meant to embark on this program not really to obtain my PGDE, but to study and investigate and explore myself. In this context. At this time in my life.

Well, it's Monday morning and I'm off to class again. I wonder what i'll discover today.

No comments: