Friday, April 24, 2009

connecting

Tonight, my friend Tess and I saw the Syringa Tree play performed by Pamela Gien. Incredible.

A one-woman act who plays various characters in a complex story of childhood innocence, racial tension, and lifelong discovery.

It has been a long time since i've been so thoroughly impressed by a performance such as this one. A rare gift and a must see!

Yesterday i had the delight of meeting Mr. Grimsey, the father of one of my longtime childhood friends. He was here on the Island on business and had the evening free.

I picked him up in his posh resort and we went to Little Qualicum Falls for a lovely hike.

We then had a nice dinner on the beachfront. We chatted the entire time and it was really the first time that i can remember having had such a long conversation with him. We would only ever really exchange pleasantries, and growing up, it would be "Oh, Bonnie's here!" or "It's Bonnie on the phone!"

So what a pleasure it was to share some time with him and listen to some thoughtful wisdom from someone who has been a part of my life, if only on the periphery, but who has seen me grow up. Thank you.

It has been a strange week without Matt.

After his last exam, he took the opportunity to be with his family on a narrowboat canal holiday in England. From what I've heard and the few pictures I've seen, it looks like quite the relaxing kind of holiday, slow-paced and serene.

Our home was quiet at first with just me in it, but when i look around me, I see how we have filled it with our memories and joy and it is just simply brimming with loud declarations of our love.

Matt returns to Canada on Sunday and I will be waiting anxiously at Victoria airport, arms wide open.

No comments: