Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A small ripple in the great big sea

I'm starting to really bond with my boys at school. I've developed a sort of soft spot for each class, although i can't show it or my ability to rule with an iron fist is shattered, ha yeah right. But I know what to expect - more or less - when i walk into the room, where the cliques of friends are, who i have to keep a close eye on, how they react when i attempt to draw yet another blob-of-a-map-of-China on the board, what to do if a few of them get out of hand, how to get their attention...

And it's true what they say, that every class has a "Class Clown" and sometimes they are a welcome pleasure in the lesson and sometimes (most times really) they are a nuissance. But it doesn't stop there. Every class also has the Leader, the Brain, the Nerd, the Athlete, the Teacher's Pet, the Tattler, the Bookworm, the Bigmouth, the Observer, the Rebel and the many many Sheep. Who were you?

I've got a few students (whom I refer to as The Keeners) who simply amaze me with their over-the-top work and initiatives to try and do more than what is asked of them. Most of us have heard this: "If i made a difference in only one child's life, then it was all worth it." But it's so true.

*pic: overlooking the outdoor garden at King's College with fountain full of goldfish, famous ivey tree in the foreground

No comments: