Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A pyramids and shishkebab stopover

I'm in hot and steamy Cairo, overnighting for one day until I catch my flight back to Hong Kong.

Matt only had 2 hours stopover and we managed to get him as close to the Giza Pyramids as possible, before him having to turn back and catch his flight to Germany for work meetings. See pic of us 'in front' of the pyramids.


After an unbelievable week in Eritrea where time seemed to stand still and the outside world ceased to exist, being thrown into the hustle and bustle of a 20 million- strong metropolitan city and being taken around by guide Mohammed in the heat of the day to see the wondrous pyramids, Sphinx and tombs is, to say the least, surreal.

So while Matt left, I stayed on with Mohammed, who led me up close and personal to the Giza Pyramids and Sphinx. See him holding some Eritrean nakfa (the currency is completely useless outside the country) I gave him as a keepsake.

We then spent several hours in the Egyptian Museum, a definite must for Cairo tourists. Just the massive scale of the building itself is impressive, and all the treasures and jewels that lie inside is simply mind-blowing. See pic of exterior of Museum.


After a scrumptious shishkebab meal at a local Egyptian restaurant with warm pita bread, jollof rice, salad and a potato stew, I managed to scarf down an apple-toffee cake and a steaming cup of Egyptian sweet tea.

It's strange how after the sun sets in a hot climate, my attention immediately turns to my appetite which has, for some reason, come alive at full force.

I passed a shisha lounge/ cafe and wanted to go in but upon noticing that all the customers were male, decided i best wait until next time with Matt.

Will report back with lots of stories and pictures from beautiful Eritrea! I'm off to write a few postcards in my air- conditionned room and watch Al-Jazeera on cable TV.

No comments: