Thursday, May 31, 2007

leaving on a jet plane

With pieces of the puzzle coming together, i cannot help but just be permanently giddy.

Full medical exam completed, getting updated vaccinations (i've got 2 more rabies, typhoid and HepB to go), found a reliable and reasonably priced relocation company, property agent meeting organized, fixing goodbye dates with friends and family... the list goes on.

In exactly 26 minutes we're off to the airport for our overnight direct flight to Johannesburg!!! Youpeee! We'll get picked up by some of Matt's contacts, drive 2 hours to Pietersburg, the capital of Limpopo province and spend the night in their guesthouse. The next day we fly back to Joburg in a propeller plane and catch our connecting flight to Cape Town. There, we'll spend a good 10 days or so getting to know the city, looking at properties, meeting other contacts (for Matt) and trying to get in as much live music as we can! It's been a long time since i've felt this excited for a trip. I guess because it'll be a glimpse into our new-life-to-be.

A little nice surprise greeted me the other night in my email inbox. One of my students, Anthony, back at King's College wrote an email asking how i was. A little 'hello' like that is all i need to make my day a happy one :D

I replied to him this morning asking how school was, etc etc. He's written back, saying:
"the exams are coming up soon! And in our last IH quiz, 22 out of 33 of us failed, despite that you were such a good teacher!
I passed, of course.
Anthony
"

Haha, it made me laugh real hard.

No comments: