Monday, November 15, 2004

drip drip drip ... drip

Well, after one month here in Urumqi, my body has caught up with all the excitement and hoopla of the city. I am officially sick. For those of you who know how i am ridiculously stubborn and usually in denial when it comes to being sick, this time i couldn't fake it.

Yesterday I woke up with sore muscles and just feeling really weak and faint. After puking up the previous night's dinner, i thought: well, it's out of my system, gotta get ready for a hectic 12 hour day at school! But after spending the morning with 8 and 9 year old's, i didn't think i could make it through the rest of the day.

I felt really bad for the kiddies since i was probably less than enthusiastic and just really not there. I had them do a colour, cut and paste activity of our unit, MY HOUSE, and then we sang some songs, but the entire time i was leaning my head against the wall. ugh.

So i decided to go home and sleep for an hour or so since my next block (which consists of 2 hours) was off. I wasn't to teach again until 4:15, plenty of time to rest, right? That's me and my denial again. Ha, so not only did i not feel better after an hour of sleep, i had to call Ian (my boss) at 3pm to find someone to fill in for the rest of my classes. I definitely owe some people big time.

And then Susi told me that i should go and see the doctor that is around the corner from where we live. I did and after assessing me, i was put on a drip, given chewable tablets, some solution to mix with hot water and some pills. I was and still am a bit skeptical about all this medication though.

At the end of the Q&A's, I don't think she really told me what was wrong with me except that i had a high fever and gut-wrenching stomach pains, which was already obvious to me.

Oh but this drip thing, let me try and explain this concept: you lay on a cot with a needle stuck in one of the veins in your hand. Suspended above is a drip solution with some medication, and depending on how severe your illness is, you may go through 3 or 4 drips in one day that could potentially last for several hours, for a succession of days at a time. I only had 2 drip bottles last night, but i am to go back today for more.

Despite my frustrations with being 'down and out', the doctor was really delightful and i think she has a fondness for us foreign teachers. Joe and Peta (two other EF teachers) are also sick.

Joe has a throat infection and Peta has an inflammed gallbladder. So we had a drip party last night at the clinic together! It was so fun we all ended up fast asleep for a few hours - wahoo! The doctor probably thinks us foreigners are constantly sick or something and don't know how to take care of ourselves. Fair enough.

Today i called in sick again and am just resting at home. I feel significantly better than yesterday but am still really weak. At times like these, it's when homesickness really kicks in :( I think i just want to be babied and waited on hand and foot.

Ah, i'm just looking for sympathy though; my parents called me last night (!) so they probably could sense intuitively i needed some cheering up.

Also, Susi brought home this cute stuffed pink dog with incredibly long eyelashes for me. It comes as a 'toy' with one of the meals at DICOS, a fast food chain. Apparently this meal comes with a chicken burger, some chicken pieces and HOT orange juice!! It's funny how Chinese people love hot everything.

Well, besides this recent development, things are fine. Last Friday, i went with Tiffany and Peta to a dumpling restaurant across from the Xinjiang Medical Uni. I don't think i have ever tasted more delicious dumplings in my life, i'm serious. Stuffed with pork, shrimp, crab, mutton, egg and veggies, they were a bit fried on the outside and super tender inside.

We met up with Dave Wong (American studying at Xinjiang Uni), Laura, and Rhonda (Albertan girl teaching at a middle school, soon to be going back home after a year here), and then we went to the shops across from the zoo where they sell BAKING SODA!!! Every person i've asked where I could buy baking soda, they'd tell me it can be bought across from the zoo. So for the past few weeks, i made it a mission to head to the zoo area. Things just kept being put off, and so when i saw it on the shelf, I literally shrieked and danced around, hugging Peta and Tiff with delight. That night i made banana bread in our little oven, fluffy moist and yummy. Brought some into school the next day and Nicole (one of the EF chinese staff) congratulated Susi on getting a flatmate who can bake, harhar.

Well, i should prepare something hot to eat. I've been told to make water-rice, egg soup noodles, or just drink hot hot tea. I guess milkshakes and vanilla ice cream is out of the question. Ohwell.

No comments: